Wizarding Community Rules
1) All Magic and Non-Magic Folk are Welcome – this is a family friendly event, please keep this in mind as you prepare your costumes and while at the event, be respectful of those around you.
2) Wizard Duels are to be held in designated area only – Phyiscal contact or obscene language will not be tolerated
3) This is Fun not Perfection – we are a volunteer group that learns from its mistakes (be constructive and kind with your criticism)
4) We are Ithaca not Hollywood – This is a community event that comes alive with the help of your enthusiasm and love of the magical world. Our intention is to celebrate not recreate or infringe on others.
5) Leave Your Pet Magical Creatures at Home – No Dogs or Pets please, Press Bay Alley welcomes them at NON-EVENT times. Certified service pets are always welcome. Why? Because there are other animals who are part of the event that can be spooked by your pet.
6) Waste Does Not Magically Disappear – We are working with Impact Earth to offer Compost, Recycling and Garbage areas throughout the event along with people at the stations to help you. Say hello and learn more how you can help keep the earth we live on magically clean.
If you are in need of a sign language interpreter for any of the Magical Classes offered on the Saturday of Sunday Festival Day, please contact us in advance using the CONTACT US page so that we can make arrangements.
All ticketed events offer accessibility ramps and/or elevator access.
All Downtown Parking Garages offer ADA parking for those who have permits on display.
Additionally, ADA street parking is available on throughout downtown street parking areas.
The Saturday and Sunday street festival has a few offerings that are not wheelchair accessible due to lack of elevator in old buildings. They are as follows:
– The Spot of Requirement vendor location in The Common Spot (22 narrow steps)
– Escape Ithaca Puzzle Room (25 steps)
NOTE: When entering the DeWitt Mall the ramp access is on the other side of the building (the Buffalo Street Side).
Emergency Medical Services will be onsite for the duration of the Saturday and Sunday festival days and located at the Corner of MLK/State St and Geneva Street.
For everyone’s safety, wheeled devices, excluding mobility devices, are prohibited from the Ithaca Commons. This includes, but is not limited to, wheelies, scooters, bicycles, rollerblades, and skateboards.
PLEASE KEEP ALL PETS AT HOME. While we would love to see your three headed dog costume for Fido, dogs are not permitted on the Ithaca Commons. Moreover, there are other animals that will be on exhibit during the event that could be spooked by other pets.
Wizarding Weekend Organizers are not liable for any missing belongings. If you should lose something, please report it to the Mirror of Erised Information Booth (on the corner of Cayuga and MLK/State Street) to assist in helping you find your missing item.
Bag Policy: For the safety of all our attendees, under absolutely no circumstances are bags to be left unattended at any time during the event. Any bag left unattended may be removed from the premises at the organizer’s discretion.
Illegal drug substances and open container alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited in all public spaces including the Ithaca Commons, MLK/State Street, Cayuga Street and Press Bay Alley.
NO PROJECTILES OF ANY KIND will be permitted, without exception. Examples include, but are not limited to: Airsoft guns, any and all kinds, regardless of whether functional or not. BB and other pellet guns, Crossbows, dart guns, and blowguns, Water guns and/or pistols, Stun guns and Tasers are also NOT allowed. NO EXPLOSIVES or CHEMICALS of any kind including, but not limited to: smoke powder, sparklers, or fireworks of any kind.
Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated at Wizarding Weekend. Harassment is simply defined as any unwanted action against any person(s) or group, for any reason, that is constantly repeated or systematic. Reports of harassment will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
LOST CHILDREN: If you are searching for a lost child, contact any of our festival volunteers or go directly to the Mirror of Erised Information Booth (on the corner of Cayuga and MLK/State Street) to assist you. Our festival volunteers are identified by their unique event lanyard and badge.
Costuming and Cosplay
In an effort to avoid event disruption or fear, we are asking all attendees to leave their clown costumes at home. Anyone partaking in disruptive or unlawful behavior (whether wearing a clown costume or not) will answer to the Ithaca Police Department.
Wizarding Weekend is a family event and attendees are asked to dress accordingly. Wizarding Weekend organizers reserve the right to ask an attendee to change clothing if it is deemed inappropriate.
Cosplay is not consent. Cosplayers work very hard throughout the year to present their projects to their peers, not as a waiver to allow other attendees to invade what is considered, “personal space”. Please be courteous to each other and ask for permission to take pictures or touch any attendee at Wizarding Weekend.
No live steel will be allowed at Wizarding Weekend. Live steel is defined as: Swords, bayonets, and knives (regardless of whether or not they are sheathed), Star knives and shuriken, or other objects made of metal which can take an edge. This holds true regardless of whether the object is actually sharp. Live steel may not be used as a structural support component for any props.
Do not use props in an unsafe manner. This includes but is not limited to: mock-fighting, swinging, throwing, hitting.